Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Reading Dilemma

I love love love to read. I’m a fan of fantasy fiction where I can get lost in a beautiful world with amazing creatures and landscapes described so vividly you can smell the fragrance of the flowers. (pretty good, huh?) Some of my favorite authors are Brandon Sanderson, Melanie Rawn, Anne Rice, R.A Salvatore, David Eddings, etc. I also like to take it down a notch and read easy books that are just quick and fun, like Kevin Hearne, Kim Harrison, Lev Grossman, Anne McCaffrey, Cinda Williams Chima, etc. Then, I sometimes even take it down to a whole different level and read smut. Yep, I do read smut from time to time.   

Reading is great….I love to read....and wow, according to this article in the Huffington Post, there are 7 Unconventional Reasons Why You Absolutely Should Be Reading Books: reduces stress, sharpens your brain, reduces risk of Alzheimer’s, makes you more empathetic, eases depression, strengthens your mind-reading skills (I’m already there), helps you sleep better….wait, what?!?!? Books do NOT help me sleep better. If I’m reading a book, it’s because I’m enjoying that book, therefore I can NOT put it down.  There are many nights I’ve stayed up til 3am reading. So, are these benefits enough?

Here’s the dilemma….Effects of sleep deprivation. According to another Huffington Post article, there are 8 Scary Side Effects of Sleep Deprivation. Need I say more?? Eight is clearly more than seven. And these 8 sound very scary.

I’m writing about this because it seems there have been lots of articles recently talking about how devastating sleep deprivation is to your health. Just take a look at this article from Heathline, The Effects of Sleep Deprivation on the Body . They’ll give you 17 scary reasons to close your eyes at a decent time! HEY, not right this minute, please.

Here’s where my mind-reading skills come into play….You are saying, “Put the book down at a decent hour and go to sleep…enjoy the benefits of reading without the devastating effects of sleep deprivation.” Since, you are so clever I’m not going to slap you!  Okay...hey you there, the person that’s 50lbs overweight, put the brownie down, get on the treadmill, and lose some weight….but I’m in a hurry and it was the "easiest" thing to grab. Get the picture!  Yes, that was rude and I apologize. The point is the “easiest” time for me to pick up a book and read is at night after putting the kids to bed. I’m starting my book at 9pm, and that brownie is so yummy I can’t put it down!

It’s time to find a balance! I’m working on it.

Wheek! Wheek!

No comments:

Post a Comment