Monday, February 2, 2015

New Year's Resolution

So, did you make a New Year’s Resolution? What was it?  How’s it going? 

Did you realize of the 32% of Americans that make a New Year’s resolution each year, only half actually maintain the resolution or follow through with it?

The New Year’s resolution isn’t something new. Nope. It can be traced back more than 4000 years ago to the Babylonians (livescience and history.com). This was a time for them to crown a new king or reaffirm the old king. As well as, affirm to return borrowed items or repay debts. They weren’t as focused on losing a few extra pounds. I wonder if they were better at keeping their resolutions than we are.

For me, I didn’t make one. Sure, I have things I probably need to return and a king to reaffirm…nothing against that monumental declaration at the beginning of the year. It just never seems to work not for me. My king will have to wait.

It’s probably the ADHD part of me that can’t stick to one goal for an extended period of time. However, I can commit to a week… and OCD that goal like you wouldn’t believe. I’ll stick to it like poop on fur (had to work “poop” in for my kids). I’ve learned it’s best to set myself up for success…I despise failure. (yeah, I know we still learn from our failures…blah, blah, blah) I learn new ways to be pissed off!

I’ve decided to try something new that shouldn’t be too stressful. I took all of January to come up with this. J I’m going to make monthly goals one to get more organized and one to improve overall health. That way I have a whole month to make it happen. Maybe next year, I’ll try weekly goals. Let’s see how this goes…

February 
Heatlh: Join group for “Healthy Food Challenge”. This is a 5 day commitment to eat healthy, workout 5 days a week, report in to the group and motivate each other.
Organize: Finalize Poolhouse interior design for colors, tiles, appliances, hardware.
March
Health: Dedicate 15 hours to volunteering
Organize: Clean and organize shed and garage
April
Health: No more than 1 glass of wine (alcohol) per day and no more than 6 glasses per month, with one full week of no alcohol– I’m pretty sure less would increase my stress levels which would defeat the purpose of improving my overall health….and probably the health of those around me. J
Organize: Complete treehouse
May 
Health: No more than 4 grams of sugar for 5 straight days (no processed carb, no candy, no sweetened drinks, etc)
Organize: Start Kitchen Remodel Plan (which will also include floors and painting walls)
June 
Health: Dedicate once a week to work on my swim strokes. Swim for exercise 8 times for 30 minutes.
Organize: Complete poolhouse interior furniture plan and hopefully be done with poolhouse.
July
Plan goals for remaining of the year. After all, things change in 6 months and goals have to be adjusted. Teeheehee! This made me laugh! I’m the best procrastinator out there!

I feel good writing this down and putting it out there. Accountability!

Wheek! Wheek!



2 comments: